PowerPoint Tutorial: The PowerPoint Workspace
This PowerPoint Workspace tutorial will familiarize you with the PowerPoint workspace.
In this tutorial, you'll familiarize yourself with the PowerPoint work space.
When PowerPoint opens, you see the familiar user workspace. By default PowerPoint launches with various menus and work panes available as seen in the screen shots below.
Getting Started with the PowerPoint Workspace
At the top you'll see the Title Bar, Menu Bar, Standard Toolbar, and Formatting Toolbar. Depending on how your system is set up, you might also see the Drawing Toolbar or other toolbars visible. Toolbars can be turned on or off depending on your need and frequency of use.
Outline/Slides Pane - shows tabs that you use to alternate between seeing an outline of your slide text (Outline Tab) and seeing the slides displayed as thumbnails (Slides Tab)
The Slide Pane - shows the slide selected in the Outline/Slides pane as it will appear in the presentation. This is where you will do most of your editing.
The Task Pane - opens each time you start PowerPoint. If you don't want the Task Pane to appear when you start the program, click Options on the Tools Menu, click the View Tab, clear the "Startup Task Pane" check box, and click OK.
Watch the Getting Started with PowerPoint Flash Tutorial (6:32)
The other parts of the PowerPoint workspace that may be available on your screen include the Outline/Slides Pane in Outline view, the Notes Pane which is below the Slide Pane, the View Buttons which determine options for yow you view your presentation while you're working on it, and the Drawing Tool Bar
The Notes Pane - The Notes Pane provides a place for entering speaker notes. It's also a good place to write scripts if you're going to be narrating your slide presentation. Some third party add-ons for PowerPoint such as Breeze or Articulate include the ability to display scripts from the Notes Pane during voice over recording.
View Buttons - The lower left corner of the presentation window are view buttons that enable you to look at your presentation in different ways. By default, PowerPoint open the presentation in Normal View, the main view used to design and edit presentations.
See also the Non-Linear PowerPoint Tutorials for a way to make a great user centered presentation.
See also the Non-Linear PowerPoint Tutorial for a way to make a great user centered presentation.
PowerPoint Tutorials: Microsoft PowerPoint 2003
All Other Guides and Tutorials
- Guides and Tutorials Blog
- Listing of the latest tutorials published on the GuidesandTutorials website.
- GuidesandTutorials: Audacity Tutorial - Record and Edit Audio
- This Audacity tutorial will show you how to use the basic tools and procedures in the open source audio editing program, Audacity. Not just screen shots, but free narrated multimedia tutorials - You'll learn to use Audacity for recording and editing audio files that can be used for podcasting, mixing music and vocals, creating sound tracks, and other audio projects.
- Audacity Tips & Tricks
- Audacity tips and tricks submitted by users
- Digital Photography Guide
- This Digital Photography Guide will provide you with the basic information you need to take professional quality photogrphs with your digital camera.
- GuidesandTutorials: Dreamweaver Tutorial
- Dreamweaver Tutorial - this series of free Dreamweaver tutorials is just what you need to get up and running with Dreamweaver to create interesting and compelling web sites
- GuidesandTutorials: Microsoft Excel 2003 Tutorial
- This Excel 2003 Tutorial will introduce you to the basics of using the Excel 2003 spreadsheet program. You'll learn to create a spreadsheet, basic Excel workbook skills, work with cells, enter and manipulate data, apply formulas, format data, create and work with charts, and manage Excel workbooks.
- Podcasting Tutorial
- This Podcasting tutorial includes a step by step guide that will show you how to record, publish and promote your podcast. Using inexpensive equipment and free software, you'll be publishing podcasts in no time.
- PowerPoint Tutorial - Microsoft PowerPoint 2003
- This PowerPoint tutorial is just what you need to learn how to use PowerPoint 2003 to create effective and engaging presentations.
- The PowerPoint 2007 Window
- This PowerPoint 2007 tutorial will show you the features and how to get around the PowerPoint Window.
- GuidesandTutorials: Free PowerPoint Templates
- Free PowerPoint templates that you can download and use today. This is a growing library of free resources for PowerPoint users.
- LCD Projector Guide and Tutorial
- This LCD Projector Guide will assist you in the use and purchase of a digital LCD projector or DLP projector. It will discuss the differences between LCD and DLP projectors, size and portability considerations, lamp types and brightness, resolution, image quality and other considerations in the use and purchase of a digital projector.
- Word Tutorial: Microsoft Word 2003
- This Word tutorial is just what you need to learn how to use Word 2003 to create professional looking documents.
- Word 2007 Workspace
- This Microsoft Word 2007 Workspace tutorial will acquaint you with the new tools and features in the Word 2007 Window. It's changed significantly from previus versions and even experienced users will find this helpful.
- Work at Home Jobs
- This Work at Home Jobs tutorial will provide information on ways that you can put your skills and knowledge to use in creating part or full time income while working from home.
- Guides and Tutorials: Free Guides and Tutoials Site Map
- Free guides and tutorials on podcasting, digital video and audio, Audacity, RSS, multimedia development, educational technology, technology integration, K12 Technology, PowerPoint.
- Suggest a New Technology Tutorial
- Free Technology Tutorials on software and technology applications including PowerPoint tutorials, Podcasting tutorials, Dreamweaver tutorials, Audacity, Non-Linear PowerPoint, Digital Photography, RSS tutorial, and everything educational technology.
- Adobe Acrobat 9 Tutorial
- This Adobe Acrobat 9 Tutorial will show you how to create PDFs from MS Office applications, from Multipe files, from web pages and from several other types of documents.
- GuidesandTutorials: Free Tutorials
- Free Tutorials, software, hardware, and technology applications including PowerPoint, Podcasting, Dreamweaver, Audacity,
- Excel 2007 Tutorial | GuidesandTutorials: Free Tutorials
- This free Excel 2007 Tutorial will show you how to use all of the begginer and intermediate features in Excel 2007
This site proudly build with Site Build It!