Insert New Slide in PowerPoint
You can insert new slides into your PowerPoint presentation in a variety of ways using keyboard strokes or mouse clicks.
PowerPoint opens with a single blank title slide in any new presentation. This is true for a blank presentation as well as for those created with a design template. The AutoContent wizard will create a title slide plus several additional content slides depending on the type of presentation you are creating.
When inserting a new slide into a presentation, PowerPoint will by default, insert a content slide that includes a title and a text box. After inserting the slide you can change the type of slide by applying a slide layout from the Slide Layout Task Pane. See the PowerPoint Slide Types tutorial for more information.
The first way to insert a new slide is to Click the Insert Menu and then New Slide. PowerPoint will insert one new slide into the presentation and display in the Slide Pane.
Holding down the Control Key and pressing M (Ctrl+M) will also inset a new slide.
PowerPoint does several things when you create a new slide. First it automatically opens the Task Pane on the right side and sets it to display the Slide Layout Task Pane. Second it creates a new content slide that includes a title and text and displays it for editing in the Slide Pane. Finally, it crates a new thumbnail image and displays it in the Outline/Slides pane on the left.
Another way to insert a new slide into a presentation is to Click New Slide from the Formatting Toolbar. When clicked, the new slide button also creates a new content slide that includes a title and a text box.
Another way to create a new slide is to Right Click the mouse on a thumbnail in the Outline/Slides Pane. This will bring up a context sensitive menu. From the menu, Click New Slide. PowerPoint will insert a blank content slide that includes a title and text box.
You can also highlight a thumbnail image and then Hit the Return or Enter Key to inset new slides into the presentation.
You can insert new slides from the Outline/Slides Pane by clicking on a slide and hitting the Return or Enter Key. You can also Right Click in the Outline view bringing up a context sensitive menu. From the menu, you can choose New Slide.
You can also insert a new slide from the Slide Sort View by Right Clicking in any area in the view. A context sensitive menu will pop-up. Click on New Slide from the menu, and PowerPoint will insert the new slide into the Slide Sorter View.
See also the Non-Linear PowerPoint Tutorials for a way to make a great user centered presentation.
PowerPoint Tutorials: Microsoft PowerPoint 2003
All Other Guides and Tutorials
- Guides and Tutorials Blog
- Listing of the latest tutorials published on the GuidesandTutorials website.
- GuidesandTutorials: Audacity Tutorial - Record and Edit Audio
- This Audacity tutorial will show you how to use the basic tools and procedures in the open source audio editing program, Audacity. Not just screen shots, but free narrated multimedia tutorials - You'll learn to use Audacity for recording and editing audio files that can be used for podcasting, mixing music and vocals, creating sound tracks, and other audio projects.
- Audacity Tips & Tricks
- Audacity tips and tricks submitted by users
- Digital Photography Guide
- This Digital Photography Guide will provide you with the basic information you need to take professional quality photogrphs with your digital camera.
- GuidesandTutorials: Dreamweaver Tutorial
- Dreamweaver Tutorial - this series of free Dreamweaver tutorials is just what you need to get up and running with Dreamweaver to create interesting and compelling web sites
- GuidesandTutorials: Microsoft Excel 2003 Tutorial
- This Excel 2003 Tutorial will introduce you to the basics of using the Excel 2003 spreadsheet program. You'll learn to create a spreadsheet, basic Excel workbook skills, work with cells, enter and manipulate data, apply formulas, format data, create and work with charts, and manage Excel workbooks.
- Podcasting Tutorial
- This Podcasting tutorial includes a step by step guide that will show you how to record, publish and promote your podcast. Using inexpensive equipment and free software, you'll be publishing podcasts in no time.
- PowerPoint Tutorial - Microsoft PowerPoint 2003
- This PowerPoint tutorial is just what you need to learn how to use PowerPoint 2003 to create effective and engaging presentations.
- The PowerPoint 2007 Window
- This PowerPoint 2007 tutorial will show you the features and how to get around the PowerPoint Window.
- GuidesandTutorials: Free PowerPoint Templates
- Free PowerPoint templates that you can download and use today. This is a growing library of free resources for PowerPoint users.
- LCD Projector Guide and Tutorial
- This LCD Projector Guide will assist you in the use and purchase of a digital LCD projector or DLP projector. It will discuss the differences between LCD and DLP projectors, size and portability considerations, lamp types and brightness, resolution, image quality and other considerations in the use and purchase of a digital projector.
- Word Tutorial: Microsoft Word 2003
- This Word tutorial is just what you need to learn how to use Word 2003 to create professional looking documents.
- Word 2007 Workspace
- This Microsoft Word 2007 Workspace tutorial will acquaint you with the new tools and features in the Word 2007 Window. It's changed significantly from previus versions and even experienced users will find this helpful.
- Work at Home Jobs
- This Work at Home Jobs tutorial will provide information on ways that you can put your skills and knowledge to use in creating part or full time income while working from home.
- Guides and Tutorials: Free Guides and Tutoials Site Map
- Free guides and tutorials on podcasting, digital video and audio, Audacity, RSS, multimedia development, educational technology, technology integration, K12 Technology, PowerPoint.
- Suggest a New Technology Tutorial
- Free Technology Tutorials on software and technology applications including PowerPoint tutorials, Podcasting tutorials, Dreamweaver tutorials, Audacity, Non-Linear PowerPoint, Digital Photography, RSS tutorial, and everything educational technology.
- Adobe Acrobat 9 Tutorial
- This Adobe Acrobat 9 Tutorial will show you how to create PDFs from MS Office applications, from Multipe files, from web pages and from several other types of documents.
- GuidesandTutorials: Free Tutorials
- Free Tutorials, software, hardware, and technology applications including PowerPoint, Podcasting, Dreamweaver, Audacity,
- Excel 2007 Tutorial | GuidesandTutorials: Free Tutorials
- This free Excel 2007 Tutorial will show you how to use all of the begginer and intermediate features in Excel 2007
This site proudly build with Site Build It!