Grids and Guidelines on PowerPoint Slides
This PowerPoint tutorial will show you how to use the PowerPoint Grids and Guidelines tool to help you position objects on your slide.
PowerPoint has several features that help you position objects on the slide. The Grid is like the lines on a piece of graph paper. They're faint and in the background, but visible enough that you can use them to line things up. Guides are lines that you can move around on your screen like rulers, that help you to place an object in an exact spot.
Turn On PowerPoint Grids and Guidelines
To turn on the PowerPoint Grids and Guidelines tool, click the View menu. From the drop-down menu, click on Grid and Guidelines
The Grid and Guides dialog box will appear.
Click the Display grid on screen checkbox option. You should have a little green check mark showing in the box.
Click the Display drawing guides on screen option. Click OK
The grid will appear as dotted lines. The dashed line guides intersect in the center of the slide. Click and drag an object to line it up with the grid. Click and drag on another object to line it up with the first one using the grid as a guide.
Click a guideline. Numbers that show its position of the guide appear showing the new intersection of the two guides. You can click and drag any object into a specific position on the slides at the intersection of the guides.
Snapping Objects to the Grid
You can use the Snap to Grid feature to make items snap to locations along the grid lines. Just like you can buy graph paper in 1/8", 1/4", 1/2" grids, you can also set the distance between grid lines in PowerPoint.
Setting the grid distance at 1/8" means that you can snap objects to the grid at 1/8" increments. Check the box, Snap Objects to grid. Set the spacing between grid lines from the drop-down menu.
PowerPoint Grids and Guidelines is a useful tool when moving objects around the slide.
Also see related tutorials:
Draw a Rectangle
Draw an Ellipse
Draw Freeform Lines
See also the Non-Linear PowerPoint Tutorial for a way to make a great user centered presentation.
PowerPoint Tutorials: Microsoft PowerPoint 2003
All Other Guides and Tutorials
- Guides and Tutorials Blog
- Listing of the latest tutorials published on the GuidesandTutorials website.
- GuidesandTutorials: Audacity Tutorial - Record and Edit Audio
- This Audacity tutorial will show you how to use the basic tools and procedures in the open source audio editing program, Audacity. Not just screen shots, but free narrated multimedia tutorials - You'll learn to use Audacity for recording and editing audio files that can be used for podcasting, mixing music and vocals, creating sound tracks, and other audio projects.
- Audacity Tips & Tricks
- Audacity tips and tricks submitted by users
- Digital Photography Guide
- This Digital Photography Guide will provide you with the basic information you need to take professional quality photogrphs with your digital camera.
- GuidesandTutorials: Dreamweaver Tutorial
- Dreamweaver Tutorial - this series of free Dreamweaver tutorials is just what you need to get up and running with Dreamweaver to create interesting and compelling web sites
- GuidesandTutorials: Microsoft Excel 2003 Tutorial
- This Excel 2003 Tutorial will introduce you to the basics of using the Excel 2003 spreadsheet program. You'll learn to create a spreadsheet, basic Excel workbook skills, work with cells, enter and manipulate data, apply formulas, format data, create and work with charts, and manage Excel workbooks.
- Podcasting Tutorial
- This Podcasting tutorial includes a step by step guide that will show you how to record, publish and promote your podcast. Using inexpensive equipment and free software, you'll be publishing podcasts in no time.
- PowerPoint Tutorial - Microsoft PowerPoint 2003
- This PowerPoint tutorial is just what you need to learn how to use PowerPoint 2003 to create effective and engaging presentations.
- The PowerPoint 2007 Window
- This PowerPoint 2007 tutorial will show you the features and how to get around the PowerPoint Window.
- GuidesandTutorials: Free PowerPoint Templates
- Free PowerPoint templates that you can download and use today. This is a growing library of free resources for PowerPoint users.
- LCD Projector Guide and Tutorial
- This LCD Projector Guide will assist you in the use and purchase of a digital LCD projector or DLP projector. It will discuss the differences between LCD and DLP projectors, size and portability considerations, lamp types and brightness, resolution, image quality and other considerations in the use and purchase of a digital projector.
- Word Tutorial: Microsoft Word 2003
- This Word tutorial is just what you need to learn how to use Word 2003 to create professional looking documents.
- Word 2007 Workspace
- This Microsoft Word 2007 Workspace tutorial will acquaint you with the new tools and features in the Word 2007 Window. It's changed significantly from previus versions and even experienced users will find this helpful.
- Work at Home Jobs
- This Work at Home Jobs tutorial will provide information on ways that you can put your skills and knowledge to use in creating part or full time income while working from home.
- Guides and Tutorials: Free Guides and Tutoials Site Map
- Free guides and tutorials on podcasting, digital video and audio, Audacity, RSS, multimedia development, educational technology, technology integration, K12 Technology, PowerPoint.
- Suggest a New Technology Tutorial
- Free Technology Tutorials on software and technology applications including PowerPoint tutorials, Podcasting tutorials, Dreamweaver tutorials, Audacity, Non-Linear PowerPoint, Digital Photography, RSS tutorial, and everything educational technology.
- Adobe Acrobat 9 Tutorial
- This Adobe Acrobat 9 Tutorial will show you how to create PDFs from MS Office applications, from Multipe files, from web pages and from several other types of documents.
- GuidesandTutorials: Free Tutorials
- Free Tutorials, software, hardware, and technology applications including PowerPoint, Podcasting, Dreamweaver, Audacity,
- Excel 2007 Tutorial | GuidesandTutorials: Free Tutorials
- This free Excel 2007 Tutorial will show you how to use all of the begginer and intermediate features in Excel 2007
This site proudly build with Site Build It!