Podcasting Tutorial: Podcasting Equipment
This podcasting tutorial will discuss the podcasting equipment you should be using to achieve a professional sound for your podcast. You don't have to use expensive equipment, but you'll get much better sound if you invest in some good quality basics.
If you're by yourself and are the only one recording, you can get by with a single microphone. As soon as decide to record with more than one microphone or to conduct an interview, for example, you'll need some additional podcasting equipment.
Getting good quality sound for podcasting follows the same principles for achieving good quality sound in any digital recording situation whether it be podcasting, music, or voice over narration. Good podcasting equipment begins with a great microphone, as that is where the sound originates.
You can don't have to spend a fortune, but getting something more than the built-in microphone on your computer will go a long way toward improving your sound quality.
It's strongly suggested that if you can afford it, use a mixer to produce your podcasts. If you're using a condenser microphone, the mixer will provide the phantom power. It also allows you to record from multiple inputs, adjust the volume level of each source, and mix the channels into one sound. A mixer allows you to have independent control over each of the various inputs making it a necessity when using multiple microphones or when conducting an interview, for example. You can adjust each channel based upon the characteristics and dynamic range of the person using each mic.
Yamaha MG8/2FX 8 Channel Stereo Mixer with DSP
Digital Audio Interface
Lexicon's Omega Studio is an integrated computer recording system that includes the Omega 8x4x2 USB I/O mixer, Cubase LE multitrack recording software for the Mac and PC, and the high-quality Lexicon Pantheon reverb plug-in. The Omega Studio contains everything you need to transform your computer into a professional 24-bit recording studio with tons of flexibility.
Lexicon Omega Desktop Recording Studio
A microphone compressor helps to "compress" the loud and soft voices on a recording. It helps to maintain consistent loudness. It may not sound important, but it can make a big difference in the quality of your audio.
A pop filter is a wind-screan that helps reduce popping noises created by breath or speech. It's especially useful for reducing popping noises created by "plosives" like "p" or "b". A plosive is a consonant sound that sometimes results in pops when you record.
Shure PS6-SHURE Pop Filter, Popper Stopper
Besides a quality microphone, the next most important piece of gear is a good set of headphones. You'll use these to monitor the incoming sound when you are recording and to listen to changes you are making in the editing process.
Sony headphones are some of the most popular in the world, and at this price the MDR-7506 is a great choice! This headphone delivers a wide frequency response of 10 Hz-20 kHz in a comfortable, sealed-ear design which provides maximum isolation from external sound. You should always where headphones to monitor the audio levels that are being recorded in the system.
USB Audio Interface
A USB audio interface acts as a bridge between your recording equipment and your computer. You can connect your mixer or audio interface to the USB interface and then into the USB port on your computer.
More Podcasting Equipment
See a related Podcasting Tutorial
All Other Guides and Tutorials
- Guides and Tutorials Blog
- Listing of the latest tutorials published on the GuidesandTutorials website.
- GuidesandTutorials: Audacity Tutorial - Record and Edit Audio
- This Audacity tutorial will show you how to use the basic tools and procedures in the open source audio editing program, Audacity. Not just screen shots, but free narrated multimedia tutorials - You'll learn to use Audacity for recording and editing audio files that can be used for podcasting, mixing music and vocals, creating sound tracks, and other audio projects.
- Audacity Tips & Tricks
- Audacity tips and tricks submitted by users
- Digital Photography Guide
- This Digital Photography Guide will provide you with the basic information you need to take professional quality photogrphs with your digital camera.
- GuidesandTutorials: Dreamweaver Tutorial
- Dreamweaver Tutorial - this series of free Dreamweaver tutorials is just what you need to get up and running with Dreamweaver to create interesting and compelling web sites
- GuidesandTutorials: Microsoft Excel 2003 Tutorial
- This Excel 2003 Tutorial will introduce you to the basics of using the Excel 2003 spreadsheet program. You'll learn to create a spreadsheet, basic Excel workbook skills, work with cells, enter and manipulate data, apply formulas, format data, create and work with charts, and manage Excel workbooks.
- Podcasting Tutorial
- This Podcasting tutorial includes a step by step guide that will show you how to record, publish and promote your podcast. Using inexpensive equipment and free software, you'll be publishing podcasts in no time.
- PowerPoint Tutorial - Microsoft PowerPoint 2003
- This PowerPoint tutorial is just what you need to learn how to use PowerPoint 2003 to create effective and engaging presentations.
- The PowerPoint 2007 Window
- This PowerPoint 2007 tutorial will show you the features and how to get around the PowerPoint Window.
- GuidesandTutorials: Free PowerPoint Templates
- Free PowerPoint templates that you can download and use today. This is a growing library of free resources for PowerPoint users.
- LCD Projector Guide and Tutorial
- This LCD Projector Guide will assist you in the use and purchase of a digital LCD projector or DLP projector. It will discuss the differences between LCD and DLP projectors, size and portability considerations, lamp types and brightness, resolution, image quality and other considerations in the use and purchase of a digital projector.
- Word Tutorial: Microsoft Word 2003
- This Word tutorial is just what you need to learn how to use Word 2003 to create professional looking documents.
- Word 2007 Workspace
- This Microsoft Word 2007 Workspace tutorial will acquaint you with the new tools and features in the Word 2007 Window. It's changed significantly from previus versions and even experienced users will find this helpful.
- Work at Home Jobs
- This Work at Home Jobs tutorial will provide information on ways that you can put your skills and knowledge to use in creating part or full time income while working from home.
- Guides and Tutorials: Free Guides and Tutoials Site Map
- Free guides and tutorials on podcasting, digital video and audio, Audacity, RSS, multimedia development, educational technology, technology integration, K12 Technology, PowerPoint.
- Suggest a New Technology Tutorial
- Free Technology Tutorials on software and technology applications including PowerPoint tutorials, Podcasting tutorials, Dreamweaver tutorials, Audacity, Non-Linear PowerPoint, Digital Photography, RSS tutorial, and everything educational technology.
- Adobe Acrobat 9 Tutorial
- This Adobe Acrobat 9 Tutorial will show you how to create PDFs from MS Office applications, from Multipe files, from web pages and from several other types of documents.
- GuidesandTutorials: Free Tutorials
- Free Tutorials, software, hardware, and technology applications including PowerPoint, Podcasting, Dreamweaver, Audacity,
- Excel 2007 Tutorial | GuidesandTutorials: Free Tutorials
- This free Excel 2007 Tutorial will show you how to use all of the begginer and intermediate features in Excel 2007
This site proudly build with Site Build It!