Dreamweaver Tutorial: Using a Named Anchor to Link Within a Document
This Dreamweaver tutorial will demonstrate how to create named anchors and create links within a Web page and to a specific location in another web page.
There are times when you're creating Web pages that you will need to create a link that goes to another place within the same document or to a specific location in another Web page. This is especially true for long web pages that require scrolling to locate specific places far down the page. For some long pages it helps to put an index of the page at the top of the page that links to information further down the page. When the user clicks on a link to move down the page there are usually links to get back up to the top of the page. This is accomplished through the use of named anchors.
In order to link to a specific location within a document, the destination page needs to contain a marker called a named anchor. If you know what the named anchor is called, you can create a link to it. A named anchor is designated by the filename.html#anchorname if it is in the same Web page as the link. See the code example below.
<href="frequentquestions.html#quest16.html">Question 16: How does one create a named anchor?</a>
Named anchors are commonly used for long alphabetized or indexed lists, such as an index, a glossary, or a list of frequently asked questions. INstead of requiring users to scroll through the entire list of questions, you can create a list of the questions at the top of the page that link to the location in the page containing the answer to the specific question.
Dreamweaver Tutorial: Link to a Specific Place in a Document
Click in the Web page where you want the named anchor should go. Click on the Insert menu and then Named Anchor from the drop-down menu.
Another way to create a named anchor is to click on the Common Insert Panel and choose the Named Anchor icon. Click on the anchor and the named anchor dialog box will appear.
In the Named Anchor dialog box, place the cursor in the text field and type in the name of the anchor.
Once the named anchors are created, you can then link to them like you would any other web page. In this case you are linking to the same page, but to a specific location on the page. This page is named dw8.html. In order to create a link to the specific anchor within the page the link would include a pound sign at the end of the file name plus the name of the named anchor. See the sample code for the link below.
<a href="dw8.html#rss">RSS Tutorials</a>
The anchor icons that are created in the Web page represent the named anchors, which are invisible Web page elements. The icons are useful so that you can see that the anchors are there. To turn off the icons so they aren't visible, you can click on the Document Toolbar and then click on Invisible Elements to hide the anchor icons.
View the multimedia Dreamweaver tutorial below to see exactly how to create links within the Web page using the named anchors.
Watch the full size version of the Dreamweaver Tutorial (3:28)
You can also see these other Dreamweaver Tutorial
Dreamweaver 8 Tutorials
All Other Guides and Tutorials
- Guides and Tutorials Blog
- Listing of the latest tutorials published on the GuidesandTutorials website.
- GuidesandTutorials: Audacity Tutorial - Record and Edit Audio
- This Audacity tutorial will show you how to use the basic tools and procedures in the open source audio editing program, Audacity. Not just screen shots, but free narrated multimedia tutorials - You'll learn to use Audacity for recording and editing audio files that can be used for podcasting, mixing music and vocals, creating sound tracks, and other audio projects.
- Audacity Tips & Tricks
- Audacity tips and tricks submitted by users
- Digital Photography Guide
- This Digital Photography Guide will provide you with the basic information you need to take professional quality photogrphs with your digital camera.
- GuidesandTutorials: Dreamweaver Tutorial
- Dreamweaver Tutorial - this series of free Dreamweaver tutorials is just what you need to get up and running with Dreamweaver to create interesting and compelling web sites
- GuidesandTutorials: Microsoft Excel 2003 Tutorial
- This Excel 2003 Tutorial will introduce you to the basics of using the Excel 2003 spreadsheet program. You'll learn to create a spreadsheet, basic Excel workbook skills, work with cells, enter and manipulate data, apply formulas, format data, create and work with charts, and manage Excel workbooks.
- Podcasting Tutorial
- This Podcasting tutorial includes a step by step guide that will show you how to record, publish and promote your podcast. Using inexpensive equipment and free software, you'll be publishing podcasts in no time.
- PowerPoint Tutorial - Microsoft PowerPoint 2003
- This PowerPoint tutorial is just what you need to learn how to use PowerPoint 2003 to create effective and engaging presentations.
- The PowerPoint 2007 Window
- This PowerPoint 2007 tutorial will show you the features and how to get around the PowerPoint Window.
- GuidesandTutorials: Free PowerPoint Templates
- Free PowerPoint templates that you can download and use today. This is a growing library of free resources for PowerPoint users.
- LCD Projector Guide and Tutorial
- This LCD Projector Guide will assist you in the use and purchase of a digital LCD projector or DLP projector. It will discuss the differences between LCD and DLP projectors, size and portability considerations, lamp types and brightness, resolution, image quality and other considerations in the use and purchase of a digital projector.
- Word Tutorial: Microsoft Word 2003
- This Word tutorial is just what you need to learn how to use Word 2003 to create professional looking documents.
- Word 2007 Workspace
- This Microsoft Word 2007 Workspace tutorial will acquaint you with the new tools and features in the Word 2007 Window. It's changed significantly from previus versions and even experienced users will find this helpful.
- Work at Home Jobs
- This Work at Home Jobs tutorial will provide information on ways that you can put your skills and knowledge to use in creating part or full time income while working from home.
- Guides and Tutorials: Free Guides and Tutoials Site Map
- Free guides and tutorials on podcasting, digital video and audio, Audacity, RSS, multimedia development, educational technology, technology integration, K12 Technology, PowerPoint.
- Suggest a New Technology Tutorial
- Free Technology Tutorials on software and technology applications including PowerPoint tutorials, Podcasting tutorials, Dreamweaver tutorials, Audacity, Non-Linear PowerPoint, Digital Photography, RSS tutorial, and everything educational technology.
- Adobe Acrobat 9 Tutorial
- This Adobe Acrobat 9 Tutorial will show you how to create PDFs from MS Office applications, from Multipe files, from web pages and from several other types of documents.
- GuidesandTutorials: Free Tutorials
- Free Tutorials, software, hardware, and technology applications including PowerPoint, Podcasting, Dreamweaver, Audacity,
- Excel 2007 Tutorial | GuidesandTutorials: Free Tutorials
- This free Excel 2007 Tutorial will show you how to use all of the begginer and intermediate features in Excel 2007
This site proudly build with Site Build It!