Dreamweaver Tutorial: Create an Email Link
Email is the most popular Web application. There will be many occasions for you to create an email link on your Web site. In Dreamweaver, you can create hyperlinks that automatically launch the user's default e-mail application. These are useful when you want to give your viewers a way to send you feedback about your site or request more information about your products or services. The email application automatically opens a new message window, with the To: email address already filled in.
When you define an email link in Dreamweaver, you specify the email address of the intended recipient, for example, email@example.com. This address is already filled in the To: field when the email window opens.
The code that Dreamweaver uses for the email link is similar to the code for other types of links. An <a> tag is used to create the link to an email address just like it is for other types of links. However, the link contains the keyword, mailto, that tells the browser to handle the link by opening an e-mail software application on your users computer. The code for an email link might look like the following:
<a href="mailto:firstname.lastname@example.org">Email Jane Adrews </a>
When someone clicks the "Email Jane Andrews" link, the user's email software opens a send message window and fills in the email@example.com in the To: field of the email window.
Dreamweaver Tutorial: Create an E-mail Link
Click in the web page where you want to insert the email link.
Click Insert, Email Link from the Insert Panel as shown below.
You can also click on the Email button on the Insert Common Toolbar which will also open the Email LInk dialog box. You could also select existing text on your page that you wanted to convert to an email link. When you do it this way the selected text is already entered into the text box on the Email Link dialog box.
The Email Link dialog box will open. Type in the text that you want to appear on your web page as a link to the email address of your intended recipient. In the Email box, type in the email address for the recipient. Click OK and Dreamweaver will automatically create the link to the specified email address on your web page.
You can also highlight the email link on your web page and look in the Property Inspector to see the mailto:firstname.lastname@example.org link.
Also see these related Dreamweaver Tutorial:
View the full size Dreamweaver tutorial on Inserting an Email Link (2:38)
Note: About Browser Email Settings
Note that not all users use a standard email program such as Microsoft Outlook. Many people who visit your web page use a Web-based email program like Hotmail or GMail. If visitors using a Web-based email program click on an email link on your Web page, they may get an error message asking them to set up an email account using a standard email program.
Dreamweaver 8 Tutorials
All Other Guides and Tutorials
- Guides and Tutorials Blog
- Listing of the latest tutorials published on the GuidesandTutorials website.
- GuidesandTutorials: Audacity Tutorial - Record and Edit Audio
- This Audacity tutorial will show you how to use the basic tools and procedures in the open source audio editing program, Audacity. Not just screen shots, but free narrated multimedia tutorials - You'll learn to use Audacity for recording and editing audio files that can be used for podcasting, mixing music and vocals, creating sound tracks, and other audio projects.
- Audacity Tips & Tricks
- Audacity tips and tricks submitted by users
- Digital Photography Guide
- This Digital Photography Guide will provide you with the basic information you need to take professional quality photogrphs with your digital camera.
- GuidesandTutorials: Dreamweaver Tutorial
- Dreamweaver Tutorial - this series of free Dreamweaver tutorials is just what you need to get up and running with Dreamweaver to create interesting and compelling web sites
- GuidesandTutorials: Microsoft Excel 2003 Tutorial
- This Excel 2003 Tutorial will introduce you to the basics of using the Excel 2003 spreadsheet program. You'll learn to create a spreadsheet, basic Excel workbook skills, work with cells, enter and manipulate data, apply formulas, format data, create and work with charts, and manage Excel workbooks.
- Podcasting Tutorial
- This Podcasting tutorial includes a step by step guide that will show you how to record, publish and promote your podcast. Using inexpensive equipment and free software, you'll be publishing podcasts in no time.
- PowerPoint Tutorial - Microsoft PowerPoint 2003
- This PowerPoint tutorial is just what you need to learn how to use PowerPoint 2003 to create effective and engaging presentations.
- The PowerPoint 2007 Window
- This PowerPoint 2007 tutorial will show you the features and how to get around the PowerPoint Window.
- GuidesandTutorials: Free PowerPoint Templates
- Free PowerPoint templates that you can download and use today. This is a growing library of free resources for PowerPoint users.
- LCD Projector Guide and Tutorial
- This LCD Projector Guide will assist you in the use and purchase of a digital LCD projector or DLP projector. It will discuss the differences between LCD and DLP projectors, size and portability considerations, lamp types and brightness, resolution, image quality and other considerations in the use and purchase of a digital projector.
- Word Tutorial: Microsoft Word 2003
- This Word tutorial is just what you need to learn how to use Word 2003 to create professional looking documents.
- Word 2007 Workspace
- This Microsoft Word 2007 Workspace tutorial will acquaint you with the new tools and features in the Word 2007 Window. It's changed significantly from previus versions and even experienced users will find this helpful.
- Work at Home Jobs
- This Work at Home Jobs tutorial will provide information on ways that you can put your skills and knowledge to use in creating part or full time income while working from home.
- Guides and Tutorials: Free Guides and Tutoials Site Map
- Free guides and tutorials on podcasting, digital video and audio, Audacity, RSS, multimedia development, educational technology, technology integration, K12 Technology, PowerPoint.
- Suggest a New Technology Tutorial
- Free Technology Tutorials on software and technology applications including PowerPoint tutorials, Podcasting tutorials, Dreamweaver tutorials, Audacity, Non-Linear PowerPoint, Digital Photography, RSS tutorial, and everything educational technology.
- Adobe Acrobat 9 Tutorial
- This Adobe Acrobat 9 Tutorial will show you how to create PDFs from MS Office applications, from Multipe files, from web pages and from several other types of documents.
- GuidesandTutorials: Free Tutorials
- Free Tutorials, software, hardware, and technology applications including PowerPoint, Podcasting, Dreamweaver, Audacity,
- Excel 2007 Tutorial | GuidesandTutorials: Free Tutorials
- This free Excel 2007 Tutorial will show you how to use all of the begginer and intermediate features in Excel 2007
This site proudly build with Site Build It!