Inserting Tables in Dreamweaver
Tables used to be a great way to control the layout of a web page. But with improvements to the way Cascasding Style Sheets (CSS) work with browsers, most web developers are opting to using CSS for page layout rather than tables. Most browswer like it better too. Tables, however, are still an excellent method of presenting certain types of information on web pages, especially that content that is best presented in rows or columns.
Tables typically consist of onr or more rows and one or more columns. Each rectanglular area at the intersection of a row and a column is called a cell. Cells contain the page's text or grahics.
You can insert a table anywhere on a page even within another table. These are called nested tables.
Dreamweaver Tutorial: Inserting a Table
Use the Insert bar or the Insert menu to create a new table. Then you can add text and images to the table in the same way that you add text and images outside of a table.
In the Design view of the Document window, place the insertion point where you want the table to appear.
Select Insert, Table from the Insert menu or choose the Table button in the Common category of the Insert Bar.
The Common category on the Insert Bar - Locate the Insert Table button.
The Insert Table Dialog Box appears. You can navigate from box to box by using the Tab key.
Complete the dialog box by telling Dreamweaver how many rows and columns you want in your table. In the Table Width text box, enter a number that will either be in pixels or a percentage of the page width, then choose the units from the pop-up menu to the right of the text box.
You can also specify other properties. For Border thickness, enter a number in the text box for the size of the border, in pixels, that will be displayed between cells.
For Cell padding, enter a figure in the text box for the amount of space, in pixels, between the content in the cells and the cell border around it.
For Cell spacing, enter a figure in the text box for the amount of space, in pixels, between cells.
You can also tell Dreamweaver whether or not the table should include a Header row or column and where it should be located: Left, Top, or Both. The icons for the headers tell you what each choice looks like.
Click OK and the table appears in the document.
Dreamweaver shows green dimension lines above the table to tell you the width of the table in pixels. The top line shows the width of the table in pixels. Each column shows the width of the column in pixels if you have set a fixed width for the column. Columns with widths relative to the table width show green lines without pixel values.
To insert a table within a table, place the insertion point inside a cell of an existing table, then choose either of the table insertion methods: Insert Table from the Insert Menu or Click on the Table icon on the Insert Bar.
View a related Dreamweaver Tutorial:
Dreamweaver 8 Tutorials
All Other Guides and Tutorials
- Guides and Tutorials Blog
- Listing of the latest tutorials published on the GuidesandTutorials website.
- GuidesandTutorials: Audacity Tutorial - Record and Edit Audio
- This Audacity tutorial will show you how to use the basic tools and procedures in the open source audio editing program, Audacity. Not just screen shots, but free narrated multimedia tutorials - You'll learn to use Audacity for recording and editing audio files that can be used for podcasting, mixing music and vocals, creating sound tracks, and other audio projects.
- Audacity Tips & Tricks
- Audacity tips and tricks submitted by users
- Digital Photography Guide
- This Digital Photography Guide will provide you with the basic information you need to take professional quality photogrphs with your digital camera.
- GuidesandTutorials: Dreamweaver Tutorial
- Dreamweaver Tutorial - this series of free Dreamweaver tutorials is just what you need to get up and running with Dreamweaver to create interesting and compelling web sites
- GuidesandTutorials: Microsoft Excel 2003 Tutorial
- This Excel 2003 Tutorial will introduce you to the basics of using the Excel 2003 spreadsheet program. You'll learn to create a spreadsheet, basic Excel workbook skills, work with cells, enter and manipulate data, apply formulas, format data, create and work with charts, and manage Excel workbooks.
- Podcasting Tutorial
- This Podcasting tutorial includes a step by step guide that will show you how to record, publish and promote your podcast. Using inexpensive equipment and free software, you'll be publishing podcasts in no time.
- PowerPoint Tutorial - Microsoft PowerPoint 2003
- This PowerPoint tutorial is just what you need to learn how to use PowerPoint 2003 to create effective and engaging presentations.
- The PowerPoint 2007 Window
- This PowerPoint 2007 tutorial will show you the features and how to get around the PowerPoint Window.
- GuidesandTutorials: Free PowerPoint Templates
- Free PowerPoint templates that you can download and use today. This is a growing library of free resources for PowerPoint users.
- LCD Projector Guide and Tutorial
- This LCD Projector Guide will assist you in the use and purchase of a digital LCD projector or DLP projector. It will discuss the differences between LCD and DLP projectors, size and portability considerations, lamp types and brightness, resolution, image quality and other considerations in the use and purchase of a digital projector.
- Word Tutorial: Microsoft Word 2003
- This Word tutorial is just what you need to learn how to use Word 2003 to create professional looking documents.
- Word 2007 Workspace
- This Microsoft Word 2007 Workspace tutorial will acquaint you with the new tools and features in the Word 2007 Window. It's changed significantly from previus versions and even experienced users will find this helpful.
- Work at Home Jobs
- This Work at Home Jobs tutorial will provide information on ways that you can put your skills and knowledge to use in creating part or full time income while working from home.
- Guides and Tutorials: Free Guides and Tutoials Site Map
- Free guides and tutorials on podcasting, digital video and audio, Audacity, RSS, multimedia development, educational technology, technology integration, K12 Technology, PowerPoint.
- Suggest a New Technology Tutorial
- Free Technology Tutorials on software and technology applications including PowerPoint tutorials, Podcasting tutorials, Dreamweaver tutorials, Audacity, Non-Linear PowerPoint, Digital Photography, RSS tutorial, and everything educational technology.
- Adobe Acrobat 9 Tutorial
- This Adobe Acrobat 9 Tutorial will show you how to create PDFs from MS Office applications, from Multipe files, from web pages and from several other types of documents.
- GuidesandTutorials: Free Tutorials
- Free Tutorials, software, hardware, and technology applications including PowerPoint, Podcasting, Dreamweaver, Audacity,
- Excel 2007 Tutorial | GuidesandTutorials: Free Tutorials
- This free Excel 2007 Tutorial will show you how to use all of the begginer and intermediate features in Excel 2007
This site proudly build with Site Build It!