Audacity Tool Bars and Controls
Email to a Friend
Audacity includes six basic editing buttons which are located in two rows to the left of the play control buttons: Selection, Envelope, Draw, Zoom, Timeshift, and Multitool. Just like in a word processing program, Audacity comes with a cursor which you can use to highlight portions of the audio sample.
Audacity Tool Bars
Watch narrated multimedia tutorial
Use to highlight audio selections by clicking and dragging across the audio wave form. The grayed area you selected is now ready to receive any number of editing tools or effects applied to the highlighted sample. After selecting a portion of the waveform, you can click the Play button to play just the selected portion of the audio. You can deselect by clicking once inside your audio track.
Audacity Tutorial -
The Tool Bars (2:33)
The Envelop tool is used to increase and decrease volume levels at various locations in your wave form. It is non-destructive which means that it will not effect the original audio file. Envelopes are useful for fading music into the background and for editing interviews or recording with two voices where one might be louder than the other. To use the Envelope tool, create envelope "handle" points around the portions of the wave form where you want to raise or lower the volume level.
After turning the Envelope tool on, blue borders will surround your audio sample. When you click on any point on the blue line to add a handle (a square white point). You can widen the blue border to increase the volume between those points; narrow the blue border to decrease the volume.
The Zoom tool in indicated by the magnifying glass. You can use it to zoom in and out on specific parts of your wave form. Left click once to zoom in on a selection, or right click to zoom out. To zoom in on a specific portion of your wave form, left click and drag across a portion of your audio file. The section you've selected will no completely fill the window.
This Timeshift tool is a good way to cut and past or move an entire track. After selecting the Timeshift tool you can select a track and click on the wave form and drag it left or right to move it earlier or later in the timeline.
The Multi-tool button lets you perform multiple editing actions with your mouse. It's like having all of the editing tools turned on at once. With the multi-tool selected you can adjust volumes up and down by adding envelope handles and you can select portions of the audio with the I-beam selection cursor. You can also zoom in on your selection by right clicking and dragging to select the sample you wish to see.
Play Back Control Buttons
The play back control buttons are represented by the traditional round buttons on the tool bar. Like your VCR at home you have the buttons from left to right: Pause, Play, Stop, Skip to Beginning, Skip to End, and Record.
Click on the play button above to view the narrated multimedia tutorial about the editing tools in Audacity.
View the full size narrated Flash tutorial (2:33)
Audacity Tutorials : Recording and Editing with Audacity
All other Guides and Tutorials
- Guides and Tutorials Blog
- Listing of the latest tutorials published on the GuidesandTutorials website.
- GuidesandTutorials: Audacity Tutorial - Record and Edit Audio
- This Audacity tutorial will show you how to use the basic tools and procedures in the open source audio editing program, Audacity. Not just screen shots, but free narrated multimedia tutorials - You'll learn to use Audacity for recording and editing audio files that can be used for podcasting, mixing music and vocals, creating sound tracks, and other audio projects.
- Audacity Tips & Tricks
- Audacity tips and tricks submitted by users
- Digital Photography Guide
- This Digital Photography Guide will provide you with the basic information you need to take professional quality photogrphs with your digital camera.
- GuidesandTutorials: Dreamweaver Tutorial
- Dreamweaver Tutorial - this series of free Dreamweaver tutorials is just what you need to get up and running with Dreamweaver to create interesting and compelling web sites
- GuidesandTutorials: Microsoft Excel 2003 Tutorial
- This Excel 2003 Tutorial will introduce you to the basics of using the Excel 2003 spreadsheet program. You'll learn to create a spreadsheet, basic Excel workbook skills, work with cells, enter and manipulate data, apply formulas, format data, create and work with charts, and manage Excel workbooks.
- Podcasting Tutorial
- This Podcasting tutorial includes a step by step guide that will show you how to record, publish and promote your podcast. Using inexpensive equipment and free software, you'll be publishing podcasts in no time.
- PowerPoint Tutorial - Microsoft PowerPoint 2003
- This PowerPoint tutorial is just what you need to learn how to use PowerPoint 2003 to create effective and engaging presentations.
- The PowerPoint 2007 Window
- This PowerPoint 2007 tutorial will show you the features and how to get around the PowerPoint Window.
- GuidesandTutorials: Free PowerPoint Templates
- Free PowerPoint templates that you can download and use today. This is a growing library of free resources for PowerPoint users.
- LCD Projector Guide and Tutorial
- This LCD Projector Guide will assist you in the use and purchase of a digital LCD projector or DLP projector. It will discuss the differences between LCD and DLP projectors, size and portability considerations, lamp types and brightness, resolution, image quality and other considerations in the use and purchase of a digital projector.
- Word Tutorial: Microsoft Word 2003
- This Word tutorial is just what you need to learn how to use Word 2003 to create professional looking documents.
- Word 2007 Workspace
- This Microsoft Word 2007 Workspace tutorial will acquaint you with the new tools and features in the Word 2007 Window. It's changed significantly from previus versions and even experienced users will find this helpful.
- Work at Home Jobs
- This Work at Home Jobs tutorial will provide information on ways that you can put your skills and knowledge to use in creating part or full time income while working from home.
- Guides and Tutorials: Free Guides and Tutoials Site Map
- Free guides and tutorials on podcasting, digital video and audio, Audacity, RSS, multimedia development, educational technology, technology integration, K12 Technology, PowerPoint.
- Suggest a New Technology Tutorial
- Free Technology Tutorials on software and technology applications including PowerPoint tutorials, Podcasting tutorials, Dreamweaver tutorials, Audacity, Non-Linear PowerPoint, Digital Photography, RSS tutorial, and everything educational technology.
- Adobe Acrobat 9 Tutorial
- This Adobe Acrobat 9 Tutorial will show you how to create PDFs from MS Office applications, from Multipe files, from web pages and from several other types of documents.
- GuidesandTutorials: Free Tutorials
- Free Tutorials, software, hardware, and technology applications including PowerPoint, Podcasting, Dreamweaver, Audacity,
- Excel 2007 Tutorial | GuidesandTutorials: Free Tutorials
- This free Excel 2007 Tutorial will show you how to use all of the begginer and intermediate features in Excel 2007
Guides and Tutorials - Free Technology Guides and Tutorials
© 2006 GuidesandTutorials.com
- All Rights Reserved