Using the Audacity Project Menu
The Project Menu includes several tool you'll use often. You'll import audio files from this menu as well as add label tracks, time tracks, add tags and more.
View the full size narrated Flash tutorial (3:51)
The Project Menu
The project menu includes several options that you'll use frequently. For starters, the Import Audio command is what you'll use to import audio from a standard audio format into your project.
For example, if you already have your vocals recorded and you want to add a music background, simply select Import Audio from the Project menu and then navigate your hard drive to find your MP3, WAV or other audio file to import. Audacity will open it and automatically place it in a new track in your project.
Other options on the Project Menu
Import Audio - see above
Import Labels - Audacity allows you to include multiple label tracks, which you can add from the Project Menu. You can also import a text file that contains time codes and labels and turns them into a Label Track
Import MIDI - You can import MIDI files and put them into a MIDI Track. Audacity will diplay the MIDI files, but won't let you play, edit, or save them.
Import Raw Data - This command let's you open almost any type of uncompressed audio file and import it into your project. Audacity will analyze the file and guess its format and then open it on a new track.
Edit ID3 Tags - Digital audio files can contain related textual information in addition to the audio track. This command will open a dialog box that allows you to add/edit text to the ID3 tags associated with your project. This is especially useful when encoding files as MP3s.
Quick Mix - This command mixes the selected tracks together and outputs them as a stereo or mono.
New Audio Track - This command adds a new blank audio mono audio track.
New Stereo Track - Does the same think as above, but adds a stero track instead of mono.
New Label Track - Createsa a new label track.
New Time Track - Creates a new time track
Remove Tracks - This command deletes the selected track. It has the same effect as clicking on the "x" in the upper left corner of the track menu.
Align Tracks - The align tools work on whole tracks or groups of tracks. They work by moving the tracks left or right along the timeline.
Add Label at Selection - Once you're added a Label Track, you use this command to add labels along the track. Labels are brief text words or notes that provide information about the audio track.. See Label Tracks for additional details about how to remove labels.
Audacity Tutorials : Recording and Editing with Audacity
All Other Guides and Tutorials
- Guides and Tutorials Blog
- Listing of the latest tutorials published on the GuidesandTutorials website.
- GuidesandTutorials: Audacity Tutorial - Record and Edit Audio
- This Audacity tutorial will show you how to use the basic tools and procedures in the open source audio editing program, Audacity. Not just screen shots, but free narrated multimedia tutorials - You'll learn to use Audacity for recording and editing audio files that can be used for podcasting, mixing music and vocals, creating sound tracks, and other audio projects.
- Audacity Tips & Tricks
- Audacity tips and tricks submitted by users
- Digital Photography Guide
- This Digital Photography Guide will provide you with the basic information you need to take professional quality photogrphs with your digital camera.
- GuidesandTutorials: Dreamweaver Tutorial
- Dreamweaver Tutorial - this series of free Dreamweaver tutorials is just what you need to get up and running with Dreamweaver to create interesting and compelling web sites
- GuidesandTutorials: Microsoft Excel 2003 Tutorial
- This Excel 2003 Tutorial will introduce you to the basics of using the Excel 2003 spreadsheet program. You'll learn to create a spreadsheet, basic Excel workbook skills, work with cells, enter and manipulate data, apply formulas, format data, create and work with charts, and manage Excel workbooks.
- Podcasting Tutorial
- This Podcasting tutorial includes a step by step guide that will show you how to record, publish and promote your podcast. Using inexpensive equipment and free software, you'll be publishing podcasts in no time.
- PowerPoint Tutorial - Microsoft PowerPoint 2003
- This PowerPoint tutorial is just what you need to learn how to use PowerPoint 2003 to create effective and engaging presentations.
- The PowerPoint 2007 Window
- This PowerPoint 2007 tutorial will show you the features and how to get around the PowerPoint Window.
- GuidesandTutorials: Free PowerPoint Templates
- Free PowerPoint templates that you can download and use today. This is a growing library of free resources for PowerPoint users.
- LCD Projector Guide and Tutorial
- This LCD Projector Guide will assist you in the use and purchase of a digital LCD projector or DLP projector. It will discuss the differences between LCD and DLP projectors, size and portability considerations, lamp types and brightness, resolution, image quality and other considerations in the use and purchase of a digital projector.
- Word Tutorial: Microsoft Word 2003
- This Word tutorial is just what you need to learn how to use Word 2003 to create professional looking documents.
- Word 2007 Workspace
- This Microsoft Word 2007 Workspace tutorial will acquaint you with the new tools and features in the Word 2007 Window. It's changed significantly from previus versions and even experienced users will find this helpful.
- Work at Home Jobs
- This Work at Home Jobs tutorial will provide information on ways that you can put your skills and knowledge to use in creating part or full time income while working from home.
- Guides and Tutorials: Free Guides and Tutoials Site Map
- Free guides and tutorials on podcasting, digital video and audio, Audacity, RSS, multimedia development, educational technology, technology integration, K12 Technology, PowerPoint.
- Suggest a New Technology Tutorial
- Free Technology Tutorials on software and technology applications including PowerPoint tutorials, Podcasting tutorials, Dreamweaver tutorials, Audacity, Non-Linear PowerPoint, Digital Photography, RSS tutorial, and everything educational technology.
- Adobe Acrobat 9 Tutorial
- This Adobe Acrobat 9 Tutorial will show you how to create PDFs from MS Office applications, from Multipe files, from web pages and from several other types of documents.
- GuidesandTutorials: Free Tutorials
- Free Tutorials, software, hardware, and technology applications including PowerPoint, Podcasting, Dreamweaver, Audacity,
- Excel 2007 Tutorial | GuidesandTutorials: Free Tutorials
- This free Excel 2007 Tutorial will show you how to use all of the begginer and intermediate features in Excel 2007
This site proudly build with Site Build It!